As Oregonians we are accustomed to seeing raindrops on the window and it can be difficult to believe that springtime really is here. Despite the view out the window, we officially welcomed the flower-filled season on March 20th. Most of us know the value of spring cleaning, but there are five additional habits that can help ease you and your family into the warm, sunny seasons. Additionally, it is common for our ageing parents to forget to take these steps and the change from winter to spring is a good time for us to check in on them to make sure they are ready for warmer weather.
1. Replace winter bedding. Update your bedding for the warm season by packing away your winter sheets and blankets. Wash and refresh your lighter bedding to be ready for the warm nights.
2. Change batteries in smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors. With safety comes peace of mind. One way to ensure that your home is safe is to have functioning smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. Replace the batteries every spring to make sure that the detectors are reliable and will sound when danger is present. Also, place the telephone number for poison control by each telephone: 1-800-222-1222.
3. Change the direction of ceiling fans. Set the rotation of your ceiling fan to be counterclockwise and create a nice breeze for your room during the warm summer months. During the winter months, a fan should be set to rotate clockwise. Clockwise movement will keep a room heated by moving the warm air down. However, in the summer months, changing the rotation to be counterclockwise will pull the cool air up and create a breeze to help keep you and your family cool.
4. Have a certified technician check your Air Conditioner. Spring is a great time to have your AC checked and tuned up for the coming months. This regular maintenance can help prevent smaller problems from becoming more expensive. Scheduling the yearly check and tune up for spring will also help avoid higher prices during the busy summer season.
5. Sort and organize family photos. Take time to organize and store your winter and holiday photos. This will help you stay ahead and keep track of your valuable pictures. Also, it will likely help you declutter your desk or closet.
Spring cleaning and projects can be overwhelming! Don’t forget to start with the small projects and work your way to the larger ones. Lastly, make time for fun and relaxing activities. Happy spring!
By Brittany A. Marks