John works with clients to strengthen and protect their families through intentional asset succession planning. John believes that true asset succession is about more than money, it’s about heritage and family culture. It is not just something you come in to do, it is an extension of what you are already about.
John worked with his father’s construction business from a young age and learned from the ground up the import intersection of relationships, business, and the value of good counsel when making important financial decisions that will affect your loved ones. John emphasizes listening to your goals, applying his technical skills and knowledge of the law in maximizing your savings on the Oregon and Federal estate tax, while also addressing your practical family and business needs.
In addition to estate and business planning John’s practice focuses on estate administration. Estate administration, after the incapacity or death of a loved one, is where the tires of estate planning actually hit the road; this is true for both Wills and Trusts. John’s experience in driving medium and high net worth estate plans through the obstacles they often encounter to reach the people and organizations you love gives him important insights when designing the plan that works best for your family.
I’ve heard some say it only happens once or twice in your life-you find a place that facilitates your ability to do what you love, do it well, and do it with people you actually like! This, for me, is M&B. We work hard, both individually and as a team, to give our clients the best possible experience that we can during times that are not always the best.
For me to work with colleagues that truly desire to serve M&B’s clients like they were their own family is a real joy.
I believe M&B’s leadership is bringing vision and new ways of serving our clients together with M&B’s long standing tradition of providing superior legal advice to the greater Portland Community makes and will continue to make M&B an exciting place to be.
Estate Planning; Business Formation and Succession; and Estate Administration
- Oregon State Bar, Member
- Oregon Estate Planning and Administration Section, Member
- Oregon Real Estate and Land Use Section, Member
- American Academy of Estate Planning Attorneys, Member
- Providence Hospital Professional Partnerships
- Participating as a Certified Volunteer with the Oregon Human Service Department program, Foster Parent’s Night Out, which provides support to foster parents and their foster children in the Portland area.
- Liberty University School of Law, J.D., 2009
- Gutenberg College, B.A. in the Liberal Arts, Philosophy and History of Western Civilization, 2005