John believes in building up families and businesses through in-depth estate, incapacity, and tax planning. He believes that good planning is essential to protecting and strengthening families through the difficult transitions that eventually arise for all of us.
Additionally, coming from a blended family, John is particularly passionate about making sure that these families have plans that will protect all of the family members and help these unique families stay together through difficult transitions.
John primarily provides flat-fee estate plans so that he can spend as much time with families as they need without them being afraid of getting charged for every phone call or question. John encourages his clients to ask as many questions as they have and to keep asking until they really understand their estate plan and how it will protect and strengthen their family.
John started his legal career representing Fortune 50 companies in complex business and litigation matters at two multi-national law firms. John now takes the analytical cost/benefit analysis techniques he learned working for those companies and uses them with families to help reduce their estate tax liability.
I chose M&B because I saw a firm that was unlike anything I had come across in my career. M&B is uniquely focused on protecting families and helping them through the disruptive incapacity or death of a loved one.
M&B attorneys let their passion for families show every day and the firm is structured in a way that encourages and reinforces those passions. Further, M&B attorneys are deeply involved in the greater-Portland community and believe in helping others and building a better state.
Estate Planning; Business Formation, Advice, and Succession; Estate Litigation
Professional Activities and Honors
- Oregon Super Lawyer ™ – 2014, 2015, 2016, and 2017 Rising Star for Estate Planning and Probate
- Oregon State Bar, Member
- California State Bar, Member
- Washington State Bar, Member
- Oregon Estate Planning and Administration Section, Member
- American Academy of Estate Planning Attorneys, Member
- Legacy Health Allied Professional
- City Councilor for his community of King City.
- Board Member of the Oregon Historical Society.
- Board Member of ASHA International, an organization that increases mental health awareness
- Founder of Emerging Leaders for Oregon, an organization that equips, educates, and inspires the next generation of Oregon leaders.
- University of Southern California, J.D., 2006
- Westmont College, Magna Cum Laude, B.A. in Philosophy, 2003